If you’re like many people, you’ve kicked around the idea of hiring a virtual assistant to give you a hand – but what, exactly, does a virtual assistant do? And how on Earth do you find a good one? This guide covers everything you need to know about hiring a virtual assistant so you can tell whether you’re ready to take the leap.
What is a Virtual Assistant?
A virtual assistant is an administrative assistant who works remotely. They can do everything from scheduling appointments to handling customer service inquiries to managing your social media presence – and, because they work remotely, they’re often more affordable than hiring a traditional assistant. You can hire a virtual assistant to work on tasks you need accomplished, even when you’re not working, so that things start getting done the way you need them to be done.
3 Signs You Needed to Hire a Virtual Assistant… Like Yesterday
If you’re wondering whether you need to hire a virtual assistant, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I feel like I’m always playing catch-up?
- Am I regularly forgetting important deadlines?
- Is my To-Do list getting longer and longer, with no end in sight?
If you answered yes to any of the above, it might be time to consider hiring a virtual assistant. A good virtual assistant can help you stay on top of deadlines, take care of the small tasks that are eating up your time, and generally make your life easier.
How to Find the Right Virtual Assistant
Not all virtual assistants are created equal. When you’re looking for a virtual assistant, you need to find someone who is the right fit for you and your business. The best way to determine whether a virtual assistant is a good fit for you is to have a phone or in-person conversation with a few (you can schedule a chat here). You can ask several questions during your consultation, as well as explain what you need help with.
Qualities of a Great Virtual Assistant
Because not all virtual assistants are cut from the same cloth – and some people are a better fit for certain types of tasks than others are – it’s important that you zero in on the qualities you’re looking for before you make a hiring decision. With that said, here are a few qualities that every virtual assistant should have:
- Integrity: A good virtual assistant will be honest with you about what they can and can’t do. They won’t over-promise and under-deliver – if anything, they’ll err on the side of caution.
- Reliability: A good virtual assistant will show up when they say they will and do the work you’ve asked them to do. You can count on them to get the job done, even if it means working long hours or pulling an all-nighter.
- High attention to detail: A good virtual assistant will notice the small details that you might miss. They’ll catch typos, make sure your calendar is up-to-date, and generally keep an eye on the little things so you don’t have to.
- Impeccable organization skills: A good virtual assistant will be able to help you organize your life and your business. They can create systems and procedures to help keep you on track, and they’re always one step ahead when it comes to planning.
- Extreme professionalism: A good virtual assistant knows that their job is to make your life easier, not add to your stress. They’ll be calm under pressure and able to handle any situation that arises with grace and poise.
- Resourcefulness: A good virtual assistant will know where to find the information you need, when you need it. They’re not afraid to ask questions or research a topic until they have all the answers.
- Self-starting capabilities: A good virtual assistant will be able to work independently and take initiative when it comes to getting things done. You won’t have to micromanage them or constantly check in – they’ll just get the job done.
- Exceptional multitasking skills: A good virtual assistant will be able to handle multiple tasks at once without missing a beat. They’re experts at time management and can always find a way to fit one more thing into their schedule.
- Ability to work well under pressure: A good virtual assistant will be able to handle deadlines and last-minute requests without breaking a sweat. They’re used to working under pressure and can always find a way to get the job done.
Do You Need to Talk to Someone About Hiring a Virtual Assistant?
If you’re drowning in work and can’t seem to get caught up – especially if admin tasks suck up a lot of your time – we’re here to help. Schedule a quick meeting here, fill out the form below, or text 517-414-1252. We can get you back on track.